You went to the store, bought a new cell phone, and are excited to use it. However, you find that your phone does not support sim cards from other carriers except Straight Talk. Most likely, your straight talk phone is locked!
What should you be doing now? Well indeed, it’s not any rocket science involved in unlocking a straight talk phone. However, you are required to follow a few basic steps. And you have to meet the eligibility conditions for the phone unlocking process as well.
Here, in this article, we will ponder upon the need to unlock a straight talk phone, the essential criteria of unlocking a phone, and the step-by-step method to unlock a Straight Talk Handset.
Why Do You Need To Unlock Your Straight Talk Phone?
If you’ve bought a phone from Straight Talk, it’s quite obvious that your phone will come locked. Some people assume that since Straight Talk is owned by Verizon, which ships unlocked phones, the same will be followed by Straight talk. However, this doesn’t happen.
Straight Talk wireless has been advertised as an affordable and contract-free carrier service. Although, at times, the user may struggle with network issues and the service plans of the concerned network provider.
Moreover, there can be situations when you are willing to try another carrier service but are hinged with straight Talk because of its phone locking protocol. Even to opt for a local carrier in a new country, you first need to get your phone unlocked from Straight Talk. And for getting this done, you have to meet a few prerequisites which are discussed in the later section.
Also Read:- Cricket Wireless APN Settings
Prerequisites Of Getting A Straight Talk Phone Unlocked
As we discussed earlier, many people usually ask “are straight talk phones unlocked? And if not, what are the necessary criteria that one should meet if he/she wants to unlock a straight talk phone?”
When you get a straight talk service, the phone comes locked, and thus, you cannot use service from other carriers. In order to enable other carriers’ service on your straight talk phone, you first need to meet all of the below-mentioned requirements.
- The straight talk phone which you want to unlock should have been with you (in use) for no less than 12 months. In simpler terms, there should be consecutive and uninterrupted used service for a minimum time duration of 12 months.
- You must have lodged an unlock request during the active days of your phone service or within 60 days after the monthly service expires.
- The straight talk phone you own should be in working condition. Plus, you have not ported or recycled the telephone number you’re using. Most importantly, the device must have not been reported as lost, stolen, or involved in fraud (i.e not blacklisted).
- You need to ensure that the current “in use” model of your straight talk device was launched after February 2014 or activated in the year 2015.
Although, military people are not compelled to meet all the requirements. If you’re in the military, your deployment papers are enough to unlock your straight talk phone (unless you don’t have your phone blacklisted).
How To Get The Straight Talk Unlock Code Free?
Most Straight Talk Phones have a default unlock code i.e., 0000. Though, it might not work all the time. In such scenarios, you have to request the Straight Talk customer care or apply online for a free unlock code.
Usually, after you apply for the unlock request, you get a Straight Talk sim card 8 Digit Unlock Code. But in a few cases, the length of the Straight Talk USSD code may vary from 4 to 15 digits. Here are the steps to get the access to the Network Unlock Code for your phone:
- Dial 877.430.2355 any day between 8 a.m to 11:45 p.m. It is the number of straight talk customer care.
- Request for the Straight Talk Unlock Code. This will be followed by a thorough verification from the customer care executive to check whether you are meeting all the necessary criteria or not.
- After the verification process is over, you will be provided with a 4 to 15-digit long unlock code for your handset. You must note down the code, as you’ll need it at the time of unlocking.
- Or you can visit the official website of Straight Talk to get the code online. You just have to select your handset’s model and then click on the Phone Unlock Code Option.
Also Read:- Straight Talk APN Settings Verizon
How To Unlock A Straight Talk Phone?
Following the previously mentioned procedure, as you got the Straight Talk USSD code, now you have to use it for unlocking your device. Just follow the steps stated below:
- Switch off your device and remove the Straight Talk SIM Card from the sim card slot.
- Further, insert the preferred carrier’s service, SIM Card, into the sim card slot of your handset and power on the device.
- Within a few seconds, you’ll receive a notification on your phone which says, enter the Straight Talk unlock code. You have to follow up on the instructions. So, just type down the code you received from Straight Talk’s customer care and click unlock.
- You’ll get a confirmation message that shows the code has been accepted and your phone is now unlocked. After this, you can use other carriers’ services on your device.
How to get a Straight Talk iPhone Unlocked?
A similar procedure is required to be followed to unlock a Straight Talk iPhone. At first, call customer care for the iPhone unlock code. As you receive the code, power off the device and replace the SIM card with a new one. Turn on your handset and enter the Straight Talk unlock code. Click “OK” and your Straight Talk iPhone will be ready to be used with other service providers.
It’s pretty simple and easy to unlock a Straight Talk phone if you know the correct approach. You just have to fulfill certain basic requirements, reach the Straight Talk Customer Care service, and get the unlock code for your device model. After entering the unlock code on your phone, you can freely enjoy other carriers’ services as well.
FAQs Related to Straight Talk Phone Unlock Code
Where to find straight talk sim card 8 digit unlock code?
We have mentioned the 8 digit unlock code above, you can check here.
how to unlock a straight talk phone?
Use the above mentioned unused unlock codes to unlock your straight talk phone.
- BSNL Hello Tune
- Unlock Airtel SIM Card with Airtel PUK Code
- Airtel Call History for the Last 6 Months
- Check Airtel Mobile Number Via USSD Code
(For more updates, keep visiting India Solv)